Wednesday 20 June 2007

Electric Van



The sequel to the Electric Van & Solar panels.

The first year I have driven the Van. 4th October 2005 until 3rd October 2006

In that time we have driven 1790 Miles

Recovered equivalent petrol cost of £270 (Over half the cost of the batteries)

Re-charged over 100 times. (Mostly just top ups)

The average distance travelled 13.2 miles per charge.

Furthest distance on one charge travelled 37 mile.

Not a bad record?

Bear in mind there is a 12% (1 in 8) hill on the return journey to our house

“SOLAR ELECTRIC POWERED” is signed all over it, which attracts a lot of attention

We used the van at a car boot sale. My wife was asked how fast does it go?
She answered. “Very fast down hill a bit slow up hill.”

One guy came over to me and said, “I bet you wish it was!” When I showed him under the bonnet and a photo of the solar panels on the roof of our house. He was surprised,

I was pulled over by a police patrol car. The officer said, “ Please can I have a look?”


Driving an electric vehicle is an interesting learning curve

The tyre pressure at 35 psi helps a great deal.
Start off in second or third if flat. Change up as the amps go over 100, unless there is an incline imminent. We travel most of the time at 33mph using 52amps 60volts.
Conserve energy as much as possible. Pre-empt the stoplight, halt sign etc.
When I perceive an incline the amps go up to 100 plus.
At the sight of a hill, get as much speed as possible Max about 45mph. Change down at 100 amps only let it go below that if the top of the hill is imminent.
Down Hill, Zero Amps & Coast.
All this sounds great and simple but putting it into practice needs concentration.
My wife and friends say I’m a reckless driver as I tend to go round bends flat out and will not give up any inertia without some good reason.
The brakes take some stick too, down hill at 60mpg plus.
Since I have driven the van, the LPG consumption in my Lexus has gone up.

I think it is brilliant!
So much so I have installed the top of the range Sony DAB Radio.
We can listen to Classic FM and MP3s in silence as we travel

No comments: